Thursday, October 22, 2015

That afternoon at Jalan Masjid India & some thoughts on Street Photography


It was one of those random afternoon. I was tagging along for the ride. There weren't many people around and there was more 'scene' to observe. As a photographer who leans on the conservative end of the people ethics school of thought, I have always been sensitive about having people in my photos. Yes, I have heard of all about creative licences and artistic freedom of expression and even the moral obligation arguments. At the end of the day, I guess it all comes down to this: That works for you and this works for me. We will just have to agree to disagree.

This is where I stand where street photography is concerned: I think it is not right to photograph people without their permission for any reason whatsoever, especially the most vulnerable people in our society. People do not automatically consent to being photographed simply by virtue of being out in public. I believe that it is the responsibility of a photo lies with the photographer solely. And the photographer has no right to assume consent.


No comments:

Post a Comment